Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Vegan Recipe......give it a try!

I am excited to share this awesome recipe with you.  Indian Spiced Vegan Chili......wait don't go just yet, stay with me.  It's wonderful I promise!  


In an effort to incorporate more Vegan meals into our daily lives I have been experimenting in the kitchen.  Sometimes my efforts are a fail, but this one is good, really, really good.


Indian Spice Vegan Chili
Adapted from Daily Garnish
Ingredients:

1 medium onion
2 lbs of cubed potatoes (I used sweet potatoes and the original recipe calls for yukon)
4 cups of vegetable broth
1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (we used roasted green chiles)
1 tablespoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of tumeric
1/2 teaspoon of garam masala
1.5 teaspoon of kosher salt
Whole wheat naan bread

Instructions:

In a large dutch oven or heavy pot saute the onions in a bit of olive oil.

Once browned, add potatoes and saute for a couple of minutes

Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, beans, jalapeno (or roasted chiles), spices, and salt and bring to a simmer

Reduce heat and cover.  Allow it to simmer on low heat for at least two hours, stirring occasionally.  

Be patient.  I will make your house smell A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and letting it simmer together will allow the flavors to come together nicely.  

Serve with whole wheat naan bread for dipping or spoon over brown rice.

I hope you and yours enjoy this recipe.  It is so flavorful and great food to fuel your body.

Blessings-J



No comments:

Post a Comment