Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Homemade Energy Bars

We are a big fan of the Be Kind bars around here.  I think they are the best bars out there to provide a perfect amount of energy, nutrients and sweetness when you are looking for the energy pick me up.  They are great to travel with, perfect for a snack or to satisfy that desire for something sweet.  


But with convenience comes cost.  Pre-packaged bars can me expensive.  Sure you are paying for what you get, quality ingredients and easily portable.  Since Be Kind bars have been a staple in our grocery store list for quite a while now I have set my mission out to make our own bars.  And mission accomplished!  I have a great recipe to share with you, easy to prepare and much cheaper than the $1.50-$2.00 per bar that we pay at the store.








Energy Bars Recipe


You need:


10 dates (pitted and chopped)
2/3 cup of peanut butter
2-4 tablespoons of water
1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup- 1 cup of mixed nuts ( I used almonds and pecans)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup of shredded coconut
Raisins or other dried fruit (optional)




Here is what you do:


In small sauce pan heat the dates, peanut butter and water.  Stir often and keep an eye on it.  The peanut butter will get warm and melty.


Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.  You might need to add a bit more water if it is too thick.


Line a 9 X 9 pan with parchment paper.


Press the nut mixture into the pan.


Place in the fridge to set and chill for a couple of hours (I let ours set over night)


Remove from fridge, cut into bars.  I wrapped ours in plastic wrap and stored in a pyrex.  Store in the fridge to keep fresh.


Now you have homemade goodness to fuel your body at a fraction of the cost!


Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment